> On Aug 25, 2021, at 10:18 PM, James Bond <bond6...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> 1). The Intenso CDRs are crap. I burnt a new disc and this one started Grub

Yes, good quality CD-Rs are important.

> 2). Before retrying to reinstall Debian I had booted into Solaris and thought
> rit would be a good moment to give Debian a try. And suddenly after loading
> Grub and some error messages that I have had before as well the installer
> switched mode and no fizzy screen output! So it looks like the XVR-1200 needs
> a pre-initialization and then the Debian terminal installer works.

Yes, it seems the card needs to be initialized and I assume the Linux kernel
driver is missing something here. Firmware maybe which does the initialization?

> 4). Is there a size limitation with Debian sparc64? Wanted to install on one
> of the 146GB internal disks but during portioning I get the "warning" that
> the disk has "562253" cylinders which is greater than the maximum of "65536".
> The installer continues but when rebooting from the disk it stops with:
> Can't open disk2

There is no size limitation, but if you use GRUB with linked blocklists
(anything older that SPARC T4), the partition which contains /boot must not be
too large.

The installer will normally choose a small, separate /boot partition for that
matter. So you run into this issue, it means you either deleted the /boot
partition or your /boot partition is larger than a few GB (forgot the exact
limit).

Adrian