At 13:46 15/03/99 +1300, you wrote:
>Report Builder Pro provides a very nice royalty free end-user report
>designer.  Report formats can be stored in BLOB fields inside a database
>which is very handy, or also saved to disk.  The report designer has
>-full- query-by-example editors so that you're clients to get to your
>data in any format they want.  And you can also limit what they can see
>(i.e. hide table names and give them end-user descriptions making things
>very nice :)

That would be nice for some clients.

>Russell wrote:
>
>> www.digital-metaphors.com and liked what I saw.
>
>On the downside, Report Builder Pro is quite sore on the wallet, about
>NZ$500 from memory, but imho worth it.

The current price of RBPro is US$495 with source. See their WWW site.

>> Exporting reports is not as simple as you indicate. I'm thinking about
>> exporting reports to MSWord.  CR can export to RTF faily well but it cannot
>> export correctly to MS Word preserving all the formatting, for documents
>> whose complexity is beyond that of RTF documents, but within Word 97 scope.
>> Perhaps CR 6 and 7 have been improved; the CR tech team once told me
>> something like "exporting 100% correctly to Word is in our too hard
basket".

>For exporting to RTF/XLS/HTML with Report Builder, check out
>http://www.waler.com.  A simple third-party "output device".

This is a worry. Some add on third party things don't keep up with the
play. Mark didn't you say earlier you couldn't get this to install?

>> So I'm preparing to shift my 16 bit apps report package into a D4 program
>> and this will mean having two bde's installed on each clients server. One
>> for the app and one for its reporting package.
>
>Eeek :( Not very elegant, but needs must I guess.

There is a time to be pragmatic and a time to be elegant.
"Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler." A.E.

Russell B.
Russell Belding
Belding Computing Devices
WINLAW, BIZXWORD, ENGPER.