So … a few years ago, I looked for badging software, and there were several
options. It appears that all of them have been acquired and made non-open. The
most promising of these was Badgr (https://badgr.com/) which seems to have
become a paid service, and not open any more.

Another one - https://openbadges.org/ - appears to have become a group
promoting a standard for badges, but not actually providing a reference
implementation. There are several “certified” implementations
(https://site.imsglobal.org/certifications?refinementList%5Bstandards_lvlx%5D%5B0%5D=Open%20Badges
 ) but I don’t know if any of those are open source.

My canonical version of badging done well, as I mentioned in the README, is
Fedora Badges - https://badges.fedoraproject.org/ - but while it is,
technically, open source (https://github.com/fedora-infra/tahrir), it’s also
very Fedora specific, and past attempts to get it to be more generic were not
welcome. (Mostly because, at the time, they, too, were planning to move to a
more general purpose solution, which, since that time, has gone non-open.)

I am *very* reluctant to write something (and, no, I don’t mean me personally,
but *us*) because that will be a forever project that will likely end up
unmaintained, like several endeavors in the past. But I suppose that’s an
option. I just feel like it should be a last resort.

Are any of you aware of a badging solution that we can use? Or, can someone
step up to do the research to find one?

—
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com