> On Feb 29, 2024, at 9:44 AM, Paulo Motta <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The most promising of these was Badgr (https://badgr.com/) which seems to
> have become a paid service, and not open any more.
>
> An active fork of badgr is available on
> https://github.com/edubadges/edubadges-server.

I note that it’s AGPL. Does that cause anyone concern?

>> can someone step up to do the research to find one?
>
> I've played around with badgr.com a bit and was able to create the
> following organization and badge very quickly (the site usability is pretty
> good):
> - ORG: https://badgr.com/public/issuers/bumbzeisQSuoN3Q_G4753Q/badges
> - BADGE:
> https://badgr.com/public/assertions/ROzmBXUXQ9Cs86uMYdrGvA?identity__email=pauloricardomg%40gmail.com

Cool. Thanks for digging deeper than I did. :)

Are you suggesting that we use this service? I’m a little concerned about a
free-to-use service, because there’s no protection against them suddenly
changing that model when they realize we have *thousands* of users. Would
probably be worth having a conversation with them about their available plans.

> I've added more details about the fields required to create badges on this
> comment:
> -
> https://github.com/apache/comdev-working-groups/pull/26#issuecomment-1970310015
>
> If moving forward with badgr make sense I can create a spreadsheet for
> folks to suggest badge types so we can get them set up. Then we can
> advertise to projects who can opt-in to the badging system.

I think that work can happen in parallel to choosing a tool, so, sure, go ahead!