> On Mar 3, 2024, at 11:47 AM, Paulo Motta <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I've thought a bit more and rather than starting with multiple badges, it
> probably makes more sense to start with a single badge to validate the
> idea. More can be proposed later if the first one is shown to be effective.
>
> I'd propose a pilot badge called 'My First Open Source Contribution'
> awarded to anyone first's contribution to an Apache project that opts-in to
> this badge. This recognition is straightforward to compute and would allow
> testing the program.

I do not think that we need projects to opt in to this. Badges are not aimed at
projects. They are aimed at *people*.

I attended a talk last week at FOSS Backstage by Spot Callaway, who started the
Fedora badges program. He said that the guiding principles are:

* It should be fun, not legalistic.
* It should celebrate non-code accomplishments at least as much as code ones
* It should be easy - it should celebrate people automatically for stuff
they’re already doing, rather than requiring them to go out of their way to
request something, or jump through hoops somehow.
* We should be able to give badges manually, so that we can celebrate
spontaneous things. The example given here is that at every conference where
Fedora has a presence, there’s a QR code that, if you scan it, you get a badge.
This allows people to get badges for everything from attending an event to
landing a patch to sending email to a list to whatever we can think of.

We should also have a simple way for people to propose new badges. Spot noted
that the bottleneck with Fedora Badges has always been the design of the badge,
not the lack of ideas.

If you have an apache ID, you should be able to start earning badges. The first
time you sign into the badge system, you should already have a badge, because
you’ve signed the ICLA and have an apache ID, which is, itself, an
accomplishment. The bar should be *SUPER* low on this.