> I note that it’s AGPL.

I think this is the same as fedora's tahrir <
https://github.com/fedora-infra/tahrir/blob/develop/LICENSE>.

I think we just need to publicly fork this repo on ASF, in case the current
fork dies or badgr changes model.

>  Are you suggesting that we use this service? I’m a little concerned
about a free-to-use service, because there’s no protection against them
suddenly changing that model when they realize we have *thousands* of
users.

Yes, see above ^

> Would probably be worth having a conversation with them about their
available plans.

This is a nice to have but probably not a blocker to start with initial
badges, as long a public badgr fork exists. Perhaps it would make sense to
check if the fork is deployable in case the self-hosting model is preferred
in the future.

> I think that work can happen in parallel to choosing a tool, so, sure, go
ahead!

I've thought a bit more and rather than starting with multiple badges, it
probably makes more sense to start with a single badge to validate the
idea. More can be proposed later if the first one is shown to be effective.

I'd propose a pilot badge called 'My First Open Source Contribution'
awarded to anyone first's contribution to an Apache project that opts-in to
this badge. This recognition is straightforward to compute and would allow
testing the program.

We can recommend new/incubating projects to adopt the badge and it should
be uncontroversial for existing projects to adopt the badge, since it helps
with motivating first-time contributors.

The badge image should be formatted to be easily repostable in socials
(Linkedin and X initially) to allow awardees to share the badge and
encourage more people to make first time contributions.