Sure, badging can be fun and it sure seems popular on GitHub: I do like my Mars
2020 Helicopter Mission badge (https://github.com/garydgregory/) !

I wonder if there are there any privacy issue we should be able to foresee?

I would guess that badges would be derived from data that a member from the
internet public might be able to painstakingly assemble, but maybe not.

Should a person be allowed to opt out of a specific badge or the whole badge
system?

Gary