> On Mar 8, 2024, at 10:24 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Some people may not want badges; they should not be forced to have
> them if they happen to meet the criteria.
> I agree that opt-in is necessary.

If someone never logged in, they would never see their badges. That is common
to all of the badge platforms that I have looked at.

The notion that someone would be *forced* to receive congratulations is
confusing to me. No, nobody is ever *forced* to accept congratulations. But the
notion that we should refrain from congratulating people until they ask us to
is rather contrary to how normal social interactions happen.

> Personally, I do not see the point of them.

That’s merely an indication that you’re not the target audience.

Meanwhile, the Fedora Badges system is hugely popular, and makes people feel
appreciated, which seems like a laudable goal.