Let me state this more clearly:

> If someone never logged in, they would never see their badges. That is common
> to all of the badge platforms that I have looked at.

For every badge system I’ve looked at, nobody receives any badges until they
log into the system, creating their account. That is, these systems are all
opt-in by default. If people are actual averse to receiving congratulations for
their activities, then don’t create a badge system account. Done and done.

I have yet to meet people who hate being acknowledged for their work, but in
the event that they exist, they should not be troubled by this system.

It’s important to remember that “I don’t get value from this” is seldom the
same thing as “nobody will get value from this.”

—Rich