> it looks like there’s no way to run this on the hosted service and have
it integrated with ASF LDAP, as each individual badge recipient would have
to create an account through their tooling.

Backing off a bit, do we really need logins for a badging page? In my view
this would add unnecessary friction/overhead for contributors without ASF
IDs, which to me would be the initial beneficiaries of this system.

The way I see it, the "baging" widget would be the initial sub-feature of
an auto-generated people.apache.org page, which would contain a verifiable
trace of users' contributions and achievements to ASF projects. This page
could be referenced in Linkedin or resumes to "prove" contributions made by
an individual to ASF projects, serving as an user ASF profile (whether the
user has ASF id or not). Users with custom people.apache.org pages would
not be affected by this, since they would be optint-out of the system by
having a custom page.

This is the rough workflow I have in mind:

1. User John Doe <john...@acme.org> makes first contribution to Apache Foo.
2. John Doe receives an email from peo...@apache.org on john...@acme.org
with the following content:
  "Congratulations on your first ASF contribution John, we would love for
you to have a page on people.apache.org to showcase your achievements on
ASF projects. Click here to generate your "First Contribution" badge if you
want that. If you don't want this, please ignore this email and we promise
to never contact you again."
3. John Doe fills a simple form and selects the username "doejohn", which
is not an ASF id, but just a handle to a people.apache.org page. If an ASF
id exists with the same name, then the request is rejected.
4. After form submission and reviewed by a human, a new page is created:
people.apache.org/~doejohn
5. people.apache.org/~doejohn will have a simple static HTML page with the
following information:
    1. Title: John Doe's ASF Achievements Page
    2. Name: John Doe
    3. Optional Avatar photo from gravatar.com
    4. Role: ASF Contributor
    5. Badge widget containing the first badge: "My First Contribution"
    6. List of contributions done by John Doe to all ASF projects.
6. After some years of contributions, John Doe is invited to be a committer
of Apache Foo.
  a. John can "convert" its username "doejohn" into an ASF ID, or can
choose another ASF ID handle when becoming a committer.
  b. This kicks-off an update to people.apache.org/~doejohn to change the
role from "ASF Contributor" to "Committer at Apache Foo"
7. After 1000 commits to ASF projects, this kicks off a new hypothetical
badge to John Doe "1000 commits to ASF projects"
8. A Human verifies this badge to check it's not bogus.
9. If this is the case, people.apache.org/~doejohn badge widget is updated
to include the "1000 commits to ASF projects" badge.
   - please note "1000 commits to ASF projects" is not a real badge, it's
just a hypothetical example to illustrate this system. Badges to non-code
contributions would also exist but it's out of the scope of this discussion.

What do you think?

If this makes sense I would be happy to develop this idea into a design doc
for review.