This is right Claude. Essentially, the people.apache.org handle can be seen
as a “handle reservation” to a future ASF ID handle, that will be granted
when the contributor becomes a committee.

So it’s basically a pre-ASF ID handle granted to contributors without any
privileges or login (except the people.apache.org auto-generated
contributor page).