The ID reservation for 1 year is an optimistic "vote of confidence" that
the contributor will remain active in the community and eventually become a
committer.

Existing committers can enter a "waiting list" for reserved handles. If the
reserved handle owner is no longer active after 1 year, the handle is
assigned to the first committer in the waiting list for that particular
handle.