This is fair Sebb. I concede a separate namespace makes sense. This would
also likely simplify the solution so we don't need to worry about clashes.

Instead of overloading people.apache.org namespace which is associated with
an ASF ID, I think it makes more sense to create a separate namespace
instead, like contributors.apache.org/doejohn or badges.apache.org/doejohn .

If the "doejohn" ASF ID handle is taken when the contributor "doejohn"
becomes a committer, then it can just use something else as an ASF ID like
"doejohn99" and call it a day.

In order to avoid contributors taking up existing ASF ID handles in the
badging system which could create confusion, I think we would need to check
if an ASF ID does not exist when creating the badging handle.

Does this make sense?