Elaborating a bit more on this phase of the contributor onboarding pipeline:

> 3. John Doe fills a simple form and selects the username "doejohn", which
is not an ASF id, but just a handle to a people.apache.org page. If an ASF
id exists with the same name, then the request is rejected.

This form is essentially an electronic CLA. On the first commit, the
contributor receives a link to this form in the welcome message from
peo...@apache.org congratulating on the first commit. When the contributor
becomes a committer later on, it no longer needs to fill a CLA since this
was already done via this initial form. If the contributor ignored the
welcome message and did not fill the CLA, then it will need to fill it when
becoming a committer.

After filling the electronic CLA the first-time contributor receives a
guest account on ASF slack, and is invited to the USER and DEV channels of
the project it contributed to. When the user contributes to other projects,
it's added to the USER and DEV accounts of the projects it contributed to,
but still as a "guest" member - it cannot join ASF slack channels of
projects it did not contribute to.

When the contributor becomes a committer, its slack guest account is
converted into a slack "member" account (which is not an ASF member
account). From this point on, the contributor can join the slack channel of
any project - even the ones it did not contribute to.

This would solve the issue of project contributors not even knowing about
ASF slack existence.