Hello Andrew:

Thank you for the information on the lax vs. strict modes. I am going to
drop the distinction in this tutorial and just work under the assumption
that we are working on strict mode anyway.

Also, thanks for offering to post the ranges for the numeric data types. I
also feel that, if any reason is needed, completeness is a good one and it
will complement the tutorial very well.

Your offer to point out common mistakes is very appreciated and also goes
very well with the philosophy of the tutorial. I am waiting to read your
comments so I can integrate them to it.

I am pleased to say that I have finished drafting points 1 and 2 of the
original outline. Only the sub-chapter on data types is waiting for some
information. Andrew, I would like you to read the tables that I am
annexing and fill in the gaps if you know the info (I am counting on that
you do!). Please note the distinction between: “stores exactly” and “
stores up to”. The first means that literal string of less than max length
are padded with whites up to max length while the second means that Base
respects the EOL and uses memory up to the actual length. If I am wrong,
please let me know.

Once I receive the information I will post my copy where you tell me so
you can read it and give me your feedback. I know I have many options for
posting (thank you all for your help). I will want to centralize it for
now so there is never ambiguity on which is the current or latest version.
My originals are in .odt format and include drawings and tables. Andrew,
please chose an option that can display them. (Ah!, and instruct me on how
to post, please!)

I am also pleased to say that I have identified an example to follow in
the third point of the outline that is rich in mental images, of the right
level of complexity and generic enough so that readers should not have
difficulty translating it to their own projects. I am currently developing
it.

This is very exciting, as the content of the tutorial is already taking
shape!

Cheers,

Mariano

1. Alphanumeric Type Variables: Used for storing alphanumeric characters

Name    Data type               Max length      Description
Memo    Long Var Char                   Stores up to the max length
Text(fix)Char                           Stores exactly the specified
                                              length
Text    Var Char                No limit (>1MB) Stores up to the specified
                                              length
Text    Var Char Ignore Case            Stores up the the specified
                                              length. It is not case
                                              sensitive but stores
                                              capitals as you type
                                        them.

2. Binary Type variables: Used for storing files like JPEGs, Mp3s, etc.

Name    Data type       Max length      Description
Image   Long Var Binary
Binary  Var Binary
Binary(fix)Binary               No limit (>1MB)

3. Other Variable types: For storing small computer programs in the Java
language:

Name    Description
Other   Stores Java objects in binary format
Object  Same