Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

I have always had the feeling that Apache2+prefork was a bit of a second-class citizen. I have tested it periodically over the past 2 years and it has never gotten anywhere close to Apache1 in performance. I ran another test of 1.3.29 vs 2.0.48-prefork just now just to make sure I wasn't blowing pure smoke here and here is what I got:

Apache-1.3.29

Document Path: /bench_main.php
The benchmark itself is a standard little PHP thing I use to test stuff, so it may be that our Apache2Handler for PHP is crap and we aren't smart enough to write a decent Apache2 module.

I don't think it is due to you guys not having smart people rasmus, more a question of priorities, your focused on 5.0 right now, and most people are doing that. as the general impression I've seen on the php lists is that no one is using 2, no one is interested in spending the time in getting it to run faster.

maybe a better test would be to re-write your benchmark program in 'c'
and to the 1.3/2.0 module interface directly so you can then do remove factors like this out of the equation.

<rant>
I've never seen what use req/sec is on benchmarks.
most people have thier testing machine sitting on the other end of a switched 100mbs/1G network and just bang away.
what I see more interesting is:
- #reqs/sec @ 30% cpu utilization, where the testing machines
are on medium-low bandwidth rate limiting
- possibly where the meltdown point is. ie.. how many concurrent
requests can this server takes before it gets unusable (say
>1sec response time)
- cost of a server farm using server X to serve my business.

I belive 2.0 beats 1.3 on these metrics, but like everyone here, Ihave no more energy proving/disproving which is faster.. 2.0 works for me, and thats all I really care about, not who else is using it.
</rant>

-Rasmus