On 2009-11-26, at 8:04 AM, Todd Thiessen wrote:

I can only speak from experience with what we have done here internally but I can also attest that releasing too often is a real pain. You end up having a bunch of releases publicized that no one cares about. It only serves to clutter a repository and makes it confusing to consumers wrt which one to use.

I love the agile model of development but I don't think this equates to "releasing something immediately if there are fixes available" as Jason put it. The release needs to be weighed against the value it provides and the extra time and effort the community needs to soak and test that release. Agile states that your software should be releasable at anytime, but it does not state that it should be continually released.

Of course, the opposite (ie: not releasing enough) is just as bad if not worse. Have to find that sweet spot ;-).

The logic here is flawed because it is from a single perspective of an individual who finds it burdensome to validate each and every release.

The value of releasing everyday if there is a fix is because that fix may be very valuable to a user.

I pushed extremely aggressively against Benjamin and Igor to put in place the regression test suite and performance framework so that we don't have to fear validation for the most part. I'm confident at this point that we're going to find the problems before any of you do 95% of the time. This is how it should be. When we have a fix it should be made immediately available in a consumable form by the general public because it probably matters to someone. We are at this point responding to people taking the time to accurate report errors. If you watch the process that happens it usually a matter of hours before Benjamin fixes it.

The release process here is entirely broken from a users perspective, but that's the Apache Way. Here people think developers are more important then users which is why we have the contorted set of practices we have here now. The work needs to be instantly validated and we can do that now, and once that criterion is met it should be released. This is not the case with many of our plugins which can have a dire impact on users because the tests for critical plugins that just haven't gotten the attention they need yet. I plan to help try and fix this as well but there's only so much that can be done at a time.

These are alphas and getting them out as soon as the rules allow here is important for people trying to evaluate 3.x.

---
Todd Thiessen