Jörg Schmidt wrote:
I unfortunately do not understand the situation.

The situation is that a troll is winning because one moderator is (at least for the sake of this discussion) absent, one prefers other solutions and other members prefer to frame the issue in terms of policy and jurisdiction, which should really be the last resort.

My question is:
Are the instructions on the following page valid:
http://openoffice.apache.org/list-conduct.html

They are valid.

If so, then I'll make an official request to the PMC, and ask that the troll
will be banned from the list.

The PMC does not have super-powers or magic wands. It will always be needed that a list moderator acts, and I feel it would be stupid to impose this on Michael if he is unwilling.

The solution is that a committer (including Joerg: you say you don't have time, but, if you think about it, the effort spent on this discussion is far more than what's needed to moderate a list) who is subscribed to that list accepts to be a moderator by requesting privileges here. Then he will be able to ban the troll. And hopefully moderators will then get along well instead of banning each other, because we don't want to write policy pages about what to do in case moderators disagree! But I'm confident that once the troll is banned collaboration will work.

Regards,
  Andrea.