On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM DO YUNG YOON <sho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for being late for reading this and Really Appreciate your opinion
> Woonsan.
>
> > Write blogs with compelling stories for potential active users who need
> to live on this technology, potentially with runnable GitHub project(s) for
> readers Stories with real use cases attract people as their lives can rely
> on those. It could make them active users at least.
>
> I would love to contribute to writing blogs, and runnable GitHub projects.
> I tried few times to share the user stories from Kakao, but I think we are
> open to any topics regarding S2Graph. Not sure how to start the blogs(I
> guess we need to discuss what topics we cover), but count me in.

Cool.
I think we need more diverse stories telling how people can take
advantage of the technology in their business, but at the same time it
also needs more diverse people to contribute to the stories. Virtuous
circle - that's what we need to make somehow perhaps at this point.
I will also give more thoughts while learning this technology and we
can later discuss it further...
Anyway the more people writing more stories, the better making it happen.

> > Make more noise through Kakao, Twitter, Facebook, ... I have been a
> non-social-web guy, but I have written blog articles for Apache Jackrabbit,
> etc. JMeter twitts often to broadcast community activities. It works.
>
> I am not an active user on the social things so not sure how to working on
> this. Maybe more social people can help us. we can try this when we have
> some activities to broadcast such as release, adding the cool feature,
> writing blogs so on.

I see S2Graph has an official Twitter channel at least. Hasn't been
updated since 2016 though. That could be a good start to revive.
In FreeMarker project, we officially have a step to announce a release
through its Twitter channel:
- https://freemarker.apache.org/committer-howto.html#making-releases
(See the step 22).

By the way, do we have any meetups including S2Graph topics anywhere?
In Seoul, for example?
If we do, it's really valuable to announce those events through
Twitter, etc. Meetups in local communities are really helpful to
spread the great technologies and get to know potential active
users/devs. Sometimes their creative questions from their work can
also help our project.

> > If necessary or useful, consider writing those in Korean for local
> communities, even in users@ mailing list. As long as you keep deciding
> together in devs@, it's no problem.
>
> Actually, didn't know this. Would be helpful if we need to explain in
> details for users who are not comfortable with English. Mixing up with the
> first suggestion, I am wondering writing blogs in Korean is ok, since I
> think it can help lowering the bar to local users.

Yes. The only requirement in the ASF regarding languages is that devs
need to use English in dev@ lists for transparent decision makings.
In users@ list, StackOverflow, or any other user supporting channels,
any language can be used. For example, if devs want to support users
who ask questions in Korean, devs should feel free to respond in
Korean.
If devs need to take some insights (issues, improvement ideas,
features, ...) from users@ to dev@ and discuss further, then they
should start discussing in English with (brief) explanations from the
insights. Then it's totally fine and it is more community-oriented
practices, IMO.

> > Try to leverage your company's marketing department's power. They might
> be eager to leverage you as an Apache community leaders for their reasons,
> too. It could be a win-win. For example, I always try to secure my tech
> session(s) about Apache Jackrabbit and related topics in my company's
> annual conference, making deals with the marketing dept.
>
> Not sure if my company can support this, but worth to ask so let me ask
> them.
>
> I hope we can further discuss how and what for blogs.

All right.

Thanks,

Woonsan