To clarify this even further:
The Geronimo Server is now officially dead.
But the Geronimo project is not. It alredy contains quite a few modular parts
which are reused in many ASF projects and also outside.
Examples is the geronimo-transaction-manager, geronimo-javamail,
geronimo-config, xbean-finder, etc

Of course it would probably make sense to fold those 2 projects together, as
already discussed in the past.
I'm still all open to it, but I have an important criterium to fulfil:
If we move those portable parts to TomEE, then this would mean that TomEE would
become an 'Umbrella project'.
And further that we would need a new name for those portable parts.
They would effectively be mainatained by the TomEE community (which has a big
overlap with Geronimo anyway) but those parts must clearly be recognized
separately from TomEE.

Otherwise people will assume that those parts only work within TomEE - where in
reality they would even work on WildFly or Liberty, etc. or even a naked Tomcat.
Got me?

We might e.g. brand them as 'TomEE Geronimo Spare Parts Department' :)

LieGrue,
strub

PS: I'd also love to keep the org.apache.geronimo package name to ease backward
compatibility.