Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek writes:

If you perform hibernation (systemctl hibernate, or the equivalent
through the GUI), does _your_ system suspend and resume correctly?

Note: I'm not talking about the user-space configuration issues
(resume= not set on the kernel command line, no swap, swap encrypted
with temporary keys, whatever), but only about any potential kernel
driver issues.

Well, I don't know if this a kernel or a userspace space issue, but neither hibernation nor suspension ever worked reliably on my Thinkpad W520. Every time I tried to enable suspension it works maybe once or twice, but then eventually the laptop fails to come out of suspended state no matter what, so I end up power-cycling it, then turning off suspension in power management, and only have it turn the display off.

Hibernation never worked, to my recollection. Just tried to hibernate this laptop. The display flickered a few times, the laptop's speaker made a few reassuring beeps, then the whole thing turned itself off. The next boot was a normal boot. Normal grub menu, normal boot. No evidence of anything being hibernated. Probably a userspace issue, but I have no idea where to look.