On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 08:33:13AM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I tried to enable suspension it works
> maybe once or twice, but then eventually the laptop fails to come
> out of suspended state no matter what, so I end up power-cycling it,
> then turning off suspension in power management, and only have it
> turn the display off.
That's most likely some kernel driver and/or firmware issue. With suspend,
the userspace just issues the order, and the kernel does the rest.

> Hibernation never worked, to my recollection. Just tried to
> hibernate this laptop. The display flickered a few times, the
> laptop's speaker made a few reassuring beeps, then the whole thing
> turned itself off. The next boot was a normal boot. Normal grub
> menu, normal boot. No evidence of anything being hibernated.
> Probably a userspace issue, but I have no idea where to look.
That sounds as if the 'resume=' parameter is missing from the kernel
command line. The system then just boots normally, which matches the
symptoms you describe.

Zbyszek