On May 22, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Pavel Shamis (Pasha) wrote:

1. Driver doesn't support the HCA - If I remember correct , RH40 by default doesn't support ConnectX hca . The device_list will be empty. It is very exotic case.
2. Driver version doesn't correspond with fw version
3. FW was broken
4. Driver was broken and failed to start - it is not very exotic case too. Some times user make some modification - upgrade/install/ etc.. and it brakes driver.

In such cases, the ibv_devinfo(1) and ibv_devices(1) commands would show the same error.
Yep these utilities will show the same error.

Cases 1-2-3 we may cover pretty simple. OPENIB driver creates "/dev/ infiniband" during his startup. So if /dev/infiniband exists and _get_device_list() is empty we may print warning.

Ok, that seems reasonable.

I don't know how we can cover case 4 :-(

If the user makes modifications to the driver and breaks it, I don't think we can be held responsible for that -- prudence declares that you should verify that your [self-modified] driver is not broken first before blaming Open MPI. I'm not that concerned about #4; most of my customers do not modify the drivers.

BTW I think that problem is relevant for all BTLs and not only openib and may be we need look for some global solution.

Brian's solution was reasonable; perhaps just adding a flag to the existing no_nics function.