On May 22, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

Is there a test I could run for you?

Can you see if /dev/infiniband exists? If it does, the OpenFabrics kernel drivers are running. If not, they aren't.

Also, if this test depends on the Debian kernel packages, then we're
back to square one as some folks (like myself) run binary kernels,
other may just hand-compile and this test may not work as we may miss
the 'Debian trigger' in those cases.

The OpenFabrics kernel drivers are implemented as kernel modules, so it's mainly just a question of loading them it to start them running. For example, in the official OFED distribution, it comes with /etc/ init.d/openibd -- "start" loads the kernel modules and does all the necessary initialization, "stop" unloads everything, etc.

So if you have this init.d file, perhaps it's a question of checking the chkconfig levels upon installation...?