On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 03:45:36PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On May 22, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> >> When you install binary OMPI (which pulls in libibverbs and all the
> >> rest), do you set the OpenFabrics kernel drivers to start upon boot?
> >> Or does the user have to do that manually?
> >
> > I think so. To the best of my knowledge, we don't do anything
> > explicitly.
>
> Can you check?

How?

Among our approximatly 20,000 binary packages, I only see

   edd@ron:~$ apt-cache search fabrics
   libmthca-dev - Development files for the libmthca driver
   libmthca1 - A userspace driver for Mellanox InfiniBand HCAs
   libmthca1-dbg - Debugging symbols for the libmthca driver
   edd@ron:~$

I am not aware of anything kernel-specific happening.  That said, I could
simply be unaware.

Is there a test I could run for you?

Also, if this test depends on the Debian kernel packages, then we're
back to square one as some folks (like myself) run binary kernels,
other may just hand-compile and this test may not work as we may miss
the 'Debian trigger' in those cases.

> If you (or something else in Debian) start the OpenFabrics drivers
> automatically (regardless of whether there are any verbs-capable
> devices), then that kinda defeats the point of Pasha's proposed check...

Yes, but here I can only offer a meek 'dunno, really'.  Sorry!

Dirk