On May 22, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

Can you see if /dev/infiniband exists?  If it does, the OpenFabrics
kernel drivers are running.  If not, they aren't.

Negative -- I have no /dev/infiniband.  So his test idea seems
feasible which is nice!

Good!

Do you have any information whether OFED is in fact packaged for
Debian?  It may not be, and hence no file ...

OFED is one distribution of the OpenFabrics software. It can be bundled up and packaged differently, too. I suspect that Debian does not include OFED directly, because OFED is pretty heavily dependent upon RPM. So the OpenFabrics kernel bits must be there somewhere (libibverbs would be useless, otherwise); it would be nice to understand how they are activated: either manually or automatically.

So if you have this init.d file, perhaps it's a question of checking
the chkconfig levels upon installation...?

Don't have it, but then again, my personal installation is in no way
authorative for all of Debian.

Could you check with some of your other Debian maintainers?