Am Donnerstag, den 22.05.2008, 17:18 -0400 schrieb Jeff Squyres:
> Could you check with some of your other Debian maintainers?

I'm sorry that I can't check that before Monday! I'll let you know then
but I'm not aware of that.

Never thought about the impact of my initial request to Jeff. I
personally do not think that it's a problem that warnings are issued, I
just think there should be a simple way to help out those users who want
to get rid of them and/or help them to understand where the warning
comes from in the first place. If you do find a way to suppress them for
those who do not have the required hardware this would be indeed nice
but it should not be suppressed by default if it complicated debugging
or system administration. Just my two cents.

The reasoning that libibverbs should only be installed if the hardware
exists is somehow valid but kind of impossible to garantee in a
distribution. We (the Debian OpenMPI maintainers) could build two OMPI
packages (with and without libibverbs dependancy) but this increases the
maintainance burden and does not work well with other MPI-using
packages. I guess the common case is that libibverbs is pulled in from
"somewhere" even if no hardware is present.

Best regards
Manuel