On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 03:35:03PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Dirk / Debian guys --
>
> When you install binary OMPI (which pulls in libibverbs and all the
> rest), do you set the OpenFabrics kernel drivers to start upon boot?
> Or does the user have to do that manually?

I think so. To the best of my knowledge, we don't do anything explicitly.

There is really just a Depends: on whatever is needed to run the
code. E.g. because we build against libibverbs, the libopenmpi1
library package ends up with

   Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21), libgfortran3 (>= 4.3), \
        libibverbs1 (>= 1.1), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-21)

which is rather standard.

> I ask because of the check Pasha proposes: if the user has started the
> OpenFabrics kernel drivers, it's ok for OMPI to print warning messages
> (this is better than the current: if libibverbs exists, it's ok for
> OMPI to print warning messages).

Yes, that sounds fine.

Hth, Dirk