On 02/09/2017 03:02 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

It took me a while to find it, because you were using a pseudonym that I
did not recognize. There are a number of frequent contributors to D
using pseudonyms, and all have this issue with varying degrees.
[...]
I suppose I could write a cheat sheet and tape it to the wall of my
office, but why not just use your name?

Partly because I just like online handles. Also, brevity: "Sabalausky" is a bit of a monster and also tends to intimidate the crap out anyone trying to pronounce it (and very understandably so). "Abscissa" is shorter than my last name alone, easier to spell, plus I've been using it for about 20 years, so it's kind of just habit now and almost just as much a name to me online as "Nick". Not that it's much easier to pronounce (except for those well-versed in uncommonly-used math terminology), but it's probably at least a little less panic-inducing, pronunciation-wise ;)

And online (in general anyway), I like that "Abscissa" is less uniquely-identifiable than my name - unlike my name, there actually ARE other people going by "Abscissa". I like having my online identity split into multiple ones, and I like the lack of clarity as to which "Abscissa" fellas are the same ones: It creates privacy in a frontier that is increasingly "privatized big brother". Reliably-unique real names like mine are a data miner's dream - may as well be going by my social security number. Unlike "Abscissa", anyone going by "Nick Sabalausky" is either me or somebody deliberately impersonating me.

In any case, your point is certainly a valid one. I've adjusted my newsreader to include Abscissa along with my real name, so hopefully that will at least help.

    • Re: two points Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: two points Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: two points Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: two points Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: two points Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: two poi... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: two points Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce