On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 15:40:08 UTC, Ryion wrote:
On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 19:15:59 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
Your claim to have limited D skills doesn't prevent you from writing a blog post detailing the things that are missing for Windows development and showing how other languages deal with them. A lot of work with tooling doesn't require D skills for that matter (for instance, Eclipse plugins are not written in D AFAIK). You can ask the current tool developers how to help, report bugs, make suggestions, fix small bugs,.... The least effective thing to do is to post on the forum that the tools aren't good enough.

I applaud the people who contribute but reading posts here that pushing people ( on a lot of topics ) to contribute does not exactly motivate.

No one is "pushing" anyone. It's a simple declaration of facts: What is wanted here is currently not wanted by enough other people in the community strongly enough for them to spend more time on it than they currently do (or they would do so). It follows, that if someone want to get such things done, that someone can either wait until someone else does it in his or her spare/own time, do it him/herself, or pay someone to do it. If this doesn't motivate you, that's your prerogative, of course, but then don't expect your display to motivate someone else to do it, either.

It shows a rather desperation that we do not see in other languages forums.

Who is "we"? Also, implying that the people pointing out you could contribute if you want something are the ones being "desperate" is - frankly - insulting. If you don't want to contribute, or don't have the time, that's understandable and fine, but then don't be surprised if others share the sentiment.

Having people write plugins is one thing. Having them supporting those plugins for years to come, that is another.

Its not the actual the written the plugins that is a issue. There are plenty of D plugins out there. But people get discourages, lack of time, run into issues they can not figure out, new D version, new IDE changes... whatever changes that break the plugins.

There are plenty of plugins for almost every editor/ide but few are well supported because it ends up being one man development teams.

This is a good description of the problem's complexity, but it doesn't change the facts that people work on what they want to work on in their free time and most main/long/old D users seem mostly content with their current workflow, so it's up to new users to change things for the better here. Writing about it and trying to gather support is a good first step (that has happened multiple times in the past years), but unless it's backed up by a coordinated effort, it won't yield any tangible results.

So what is the point in pushing people: write plugins, put time into them, ... when even the people know that with there day job, family life they can not keep supporting / expanding the plugins.

False premise about "pushing" people. Other than that: Everything is temporary - especially in IT - the important question is can you get a good ROI on the time you spend writing your plugin. I, e.g., invested about 10 hours to write my D plugin for Sublime Text 3 [1], and I've already saved enough time using it that its ROI is positive.

It feels like this approach is just wrong... When people are motivated, they so so from themselves and do not need the "gentle" pushing on a forum to do so.

Again the false premise of a "push". The intention here is not to motivate anyone, it's to explain the situation and your options.

[1] https://github.com/Calrama/sublide