On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Todd Zaki Warfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Oh, oh, oh, I know—what we need is eye tracking with mind reading.
> Now, that's useful.

This is not too far fetched.

Jared is right: there is no 100% correlation between eye fixation and locus
of attention (or understanding what is being viewed). That can be solved
soon enough:

"The scientists used a functional magnetic resonance imaging machine -- a
real-time brain scanner -- to record the mental activity of a person looking
at thousands of random pictures: people, animals, landscapes, objects, the
stuff of everyday visual life. With those recordings the researchers built a
computational model for predicting the mental patterns elicited by looking
at any other photograph. When tested with neurological readouts generated by
a different set of pictures, the decoder passed with flying colors,
identifying the images seen with unprecedented accuracy. "
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/03/mri_vision

I assume the image of shopping cart would elicit different pattern from the
image of login field or the ad banner, since they have different meaning to
the website visitor.

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
Interaction Design is design of time