Gingermagic wrote:

> - What are 'Jogglers'? I really seared for those, and found nothing!

To add to bpa's comments ...
it requires a power transformer - so, unlike a tablet, it is not very
mobile.
Joggler was than brand name used by the UK telecoms operator O2.
They were available in O2 shops for around 300GBP at launch ... or free
if you took it instead of a phone upgrade.
This lead to a lot making their way into people's home - but they were
not as successful as hoped so price drops were used to clear the stock.
Think of them as similar to a Squeezebox Touch without optical out but
with an internal speaker.

As a parting gesture, O2/Openpeak provided a way to unlock the devices
(although the community had already achieved it).

They became even more similar to the Touch when JiveLite was ported to
it and a replacement operating system (SqueezeOS) was made available.
I use them as both players and controllers.

I had access to one of the very first in the UK (before the product was
announced) because the company I worked for provided some of the
back-end services that it used.
I took one in exchange for a phone upgrade and bought one or two from O2
when the price went down a lot. Since then I think I have acquired at
least 10 more and pushed them into homes of family members ...

Nowadays you can find them on eBay for 15-25GBP and replacing the OS
with SqueezeOS or something else is simply a matter of putting some
software on a USB stick and rebooting.

Outside UK you might find them but under other names. The devices came
from Openpeak and they sold them to Swisscom and, I think, Cisco in USA
for home energy monitoring (I have one of those as well ... taller box
with 2 internal speakers), Verizon and Avaya (USA) for telephony.

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland