radish;142955 Wrote:
> Can you explain what it is that makes the current transcoding solution a
> problem? I used transcoding for a long time without any problems until
> my particular format of choice was supported in firmware. I don't
> recall any great hardships.

I don't say it's a big problem, but the lack for FF/RWD, the
transcoding is a more complicated process and therefore more likely to
fail/have bugs. It also uses resources on the SS machine which is
really not needed. Many people would probably like to use a very low
spec "server" or NAS device which maybe cannot handle the transcoding
at all properly.

I myself has a few minor issues which may or may not be related to the
complex transcoding issue done at SS. Tracks are a bit slow to start
playing, for the first NN seconds there are skips and when I sync two
boxes they are never completely synced. Not to say that this happends
all the time and the transcoding is the problem, but the problems
starting tracks from time to time would probably be better if the
server was not required to start wmadec and flac to start streaming.

--
Terje

--
Terje