Perhaps it's partly the GSoC doesn't cross the radar until just a few weeks
before the deadline... 🙃

I'm happy to help mentor but also Django Core Mentorship is there...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/django-core-mentorship

One idea for a good project might be adding a cross DB JSONField as per
this thread

 https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/zfred27yVPg/discussion

* All the supported DBs have native JSON support.
* SQLite is the only one where we don't have a Django model field already
to work on.
   * That would be first step as PoC I'd guess.
* Then, how can we unify?
* And, a migration path (from contrib.postgres)

I don't know if that's perfect but it strikes me as eminently do-able.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/32637936-6241-43f6-bbbf-469f57d3d371%40googlegroups.com.