Hleb Valoshka wrote on 19.01.2018 20:44:
> On 1/19/18, Irrwahn <irrw...@freenet.de> wrote:
>> I think that has to be done anyway, because currently one cannot
>> have policykit without having consolekit installed with it, due to
>> the "Depends". The package should have something akin to:
>>
>>   Depends: libpam-elogind | consolekit
>>
>> Anyone up for the task?
>
> As it has been already told this task is not about of mere package rebuilding.
>
> But if you are in mood for testing, you can download from [1]
> policykit built with elogind support (consolekit support is dropped as
> it supports only one) and repeat your test. It was built in ascii
> chroot so it's installable both in ascii & ceres.
>
> Repository with its source is at [2]. The branch is based on
> suites/ascii-proposed.
>
> 1. https://mega.nz/#!lEVXUY6R!5MJOEEAtSadvwkv27tAPZguuYh0kRI8TVh-OL0VEj5Q
> 2. https://git.devuan.org/375gnu/policykit-1/tree/elogind-support

Great, thanks a bunch Hleb!

* Installed your packages over already present policykit, leaving elogind
  in place.

* Was able to purge consolekit2 after that, without dragging policykit with
  it, as I expected.

* Shutdown/Restart from XFCE GUI is now working correctly!

* USB drive user mount in Thunar is now working! (Admittedly, in the meantime
  I had added udisks2 and related stuff, but that only made the drive show up
  automagically. Mounting it as user was still prohibited unless I installed
  your reconfigured policykit.)

* "loginctl reboot" from VT now working!
  (Despite still spewing a slightly irritating message; console transcript
   follows:)

     urban@vbascii2:~$ loginctl reboot
     System is going down for reboot NOW!
     Failed to reboot system via elogind: Message recipient disconnected from
message bus without replying
     urban@vbascii2:~$
     Broadcast message from root@vbascii2 (console) (date yadda-yadda):
     The system is going down for reboot NOW!
     INIT: Switching to runleve: 6
     INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
     Removed session 2.
     etc. pp. (the usual runlevel change sermon)

   I guess that could be an artifact of the shutdown method used by elogind?

All in all, I think that looks somewhat promising. However, as KatolaZ rightly
pointed out, it'd be important to know which other setups would possibly be
broken by that approach, and what issues in other DEs might still persist.
Given the clusterf^W glorious goodness that all these kits'n'kats constitute,
I doubt it would be possible for it to make it in an ascii release proper —
unless an armada of people step forward to volunteer for smoke testing this in
each and every conceivably sane DE configuration. (I, for one, am however
tempted to actually use it on my actual desktop system, provided it ever hits
at least the experimental repository.)

Thanks again for going to such lengths, and best regards
Urban

--
Sapere aude!