Thanks Laurie and Ian.

I've owned my Dimona 16 years.  I have about a thousand hours in
taildraggers up to a DC-3, owned a Cessna 180, and flew a dehavilland
Beaver for a few seasons before moving onto other things.  I have flown
many different tailwheel types and must say that my Dimona's ground
handling is the most sensitive (to the point of occasionally being
seriously uncomfortable) of anything I recall having flown. (When I asked
the previous owner about crossword handling, he said to just go someplace
else.)

There were at least a couple instances where I had PIO on the rudders
during landing before I determined that the tailwheel fork had been
repaired with zero degrees castor or rake. It was very squirrelly and easy
to over control on the ground before I reworked the tailwheel fork. That
made it much better, but it has always wanted to head for the weeds (to the
right) as the tail comes up for takeoff. (Perhaps when the tailwheel leaves
the surface.)

Much of the time I attributed this to habitual taildragger habit patterns
of using right rudder during takeoff to compensate for P factor and
gyroscopic effects rather than left rudder on the Dimona.

Inflight handling, trim, and rigging are fine, other than pretty heavy
ailerons in powered cruise flight.

Although the book suggests a three point takeoff, I have always raised the
tail at thirty knots or so (I have never really noted that speed as it is
only when the airplane is ready, so don't hold me to that number). Wings
are level with no aileron input to cause adverse yaw, but there is a
significant yaw excursion.

I seem pretty much used to this now, but have been working with a friend so
he can fly my bird.  He was a Naval aviator--a Top Gun spin instructor in
F-18s etc.  After a few takeoffs threatening a visit with the weeds he said
he's never flown anything before that he couldn't comfortably take off.  I
have offered to come up with a way of providing him with a cat shot!

This doesn't seem normal. It is like there is quarter right rudder as the
tailwheel leaves the ground, so we have lots of fun overcorrecting.

I really want to revisit neutral rudder and tailwheel to see if there is
any deflection, but last time I looked I couldn't see anything out of the
ordinary. I will get into the service manual soon (after an engine repair
on my PIK-20E, with is another eventful story) and look into rigging.

So anyway, what do you folks experience?  This is way more than P factor.
It is always a challenge to stay anywhere near the runway centerline on
takeoff roll. I tend to let it find a line it likes rather than risk
overcontolling.  None of this seems normal for an aircraft with a long tail
arm, although the maingear seems quite a bit forward of most designs and
configurations.

Cheers,

Michael