On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 02:42:02PM -0700, David Fleming wrote:
> --- Tree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > You might wonder about the display on the left
> > showing my passband (it's got wings on it). Just yet
> > another feature that hasn't been talked about yet
> > that will blow the socks off the competition.
>
> So let's talk about this feature. It looks like
> shingles on a roof. What's it all about?

It might be covered in the new manual - but this is a special filter that I
have found very well suited to hearing weak signals in noise.  One name I
have heard it called is "context" filtering.  On CW, it essentially is two
filters running at the same time.  The DSP filter is tuned to something like
150 hertz bandwidth - but the skirts stop down 10-20 db down - and the
response flattens out - until you get out to something closer to 400 hz and
then the response dives down.

So - you can hear signals outside of your narrow passband - but they are
attenuated with respect to anything in the center of your passband.

That - with some of the audio special effects (using stereo) - really make
this receiver a joy to use on a noisy band like 160 meters.

Tree N6TR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]