From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ken Javor
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:24 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] New immunity testing by the FAA in the future?

Well, that's a humorous take on it, but it wouldn't have to be that way.

Also, it wouldn't take a scanner for every row. It takes a sensor (antenna)
for every few rows (recall we are looking primarily at 108-152 MHz, and that
means an antenna of significant length) to get usable sensitivity with a 50
Ohm input scanner). But a lot of sensors could be multiplexed into a single
scanner, with the scanner switching between different sensors continuously.
When a level in the problem frequency range is registered above some limit,
the system would check if that particular signal was at a frequency that was
going to be used on that approach or take-off. If not, it is a false alarm
and doesn't matter. If the signal frequency is close to that being used by
the various comm/nav devices, only then would the crew have to interact with
a scofflaw passenger.

With this system, it can be made clear that the problem isn't just a
bureaucratic snafu, but is a clear and present danger. As in, "Ladies and
Gentlemen, in violation of aircraft safety rules, a personal electronic
device is a being operated in row 15, and it is interfering with our
navigation homing device, which guides the aircraft to a safe landing." We
must delay/abort our approach until this device is secured by the crew until
the aircraft has safely landed."

And "shaming" a passenger by delaying a take-off or landing could be a
powerful incentive for both the guilty party to never let it happen to
him/her again and the other passengers to resolve that they don't want to it
to happen to them, either.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html