On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:27 PM, rayj <raymo...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> I suspect I have been using the ends for solid wire on stranded wire!!
> Do you know where I can get a quick education on which is which and how
> to tell the difference?

There's no 'standard', but what I've seen is this: the stranded wire
contacts have a couple of sharp spikes, like a fork: they pierce the
insulation and dig in between the strands of the cable. The solid wire
contacts look like  three spades in a row, sligtly offset like this:
_--_; they go through the insulation and capture the solid core
between the blades. The contacts are pretty small---1-2mm size, so you
have to look very closely.

If you use the stranded wire contacts on a solid wire, it'll just
cut/break the core. If you use the solid contacts on stranded wire,
the clamping force might not be enough to form a gas-tight connection
because the wire is too flexible.