But today in real life, no one makes their own patch cables.  But every
installer has to make their own terminators for the on-wall cable because
you can't pull wire that has a bulky connector on it.  So the only tools
and parts they commonly sell are for the in-wall kind of solid wire.

As for oil resistance, Buy the "plenum" type.  They use teflon insolation
and don't cost that much more.    These are sold because of fire codes in
some kinds of buildings, they don't create toxic smoke in a fire.  Yes they
do make Plenum patch cables with flexible wire and no PVC.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Przemek Klosowski <
przemek.klosow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Chris Albertson
> <albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ethernet patch cable might work. .....  Don't try and make you own.
> The pre-made ones come in any
> > length from about 12" to 25 feet and they have those over molded train
> You're absolutely right about buying cables---the cost is so low that
> it doesn't make sense. The patch cords actually get down to few inches
> (3-4"), which is great for local cabling in tight spaces.
>

> >The common kind of RF45 termination tools work only with the
> > solid in-wall kind of wire so don't use them.
>
> Actually, it's not the termination tools, but the terminals and plugs
> themselves---they are still insulation-displacing crimps, but the
> shape of the spades is different. In the beginning of the computer era
> we used to make our own cables and used the same tools with different
> plugs---it was a PITA because they looked the same (translucent
> plastic). Unless you opened a new marked box, we used to inspect the
> connector and it wasn't easy---you had to squint at the shape of the
> tiny gold-plated terminals through wavy plastic.
>
> If you used the wrong type for your wire, you'd get a broken wire
> touching the terminal by a tension in the plastic insulation: it might
> work for a little bit, but eventually the lack  of gas-tight
> metal-metal connection would cause it to fail.
>
> I'm saying this because someone might actually make a patch cable in a
> pinch, and that's what you have to pay attention to.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California