Looked like teflon to me.  Here is the real answer

"Plenum cable is jacketed with a fire-retardant
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_retardant> plastic jacket of either a
low-smoke polyvinyl chloride
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride> (PVC) or a fluorinated
ethylene polymer (FEP
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinated_ethylene_propylene>). Polyolefin
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyolefin> formulations,"

It is NOT designed to resist heat.  There is no requirement that it not
melt  The requirement is that it not produce great amounts of toxic smoke
when it does burn.   In practice it is harder and shinier looking than
normal patch cable

I would think that the old fashion telephone handset cable might work too.
  Both types have RJ style connectors so the cable could be replaced in
seconds and they are cheap enough so you could keep a supply of spares and
change them out before they fail.

The shielded type are not the best in terms of flexibility.  The shielding
is done with metabolized foil.

The FIRST CLASS solution is a wireless link.  It only needs to go about a
foot so could be low power enough to run off a coin battery for a long
time.  Either radio or optical  The IR system used in TV removes work well
for short distances.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net>
wrote:

> On 17.10.16 10:45, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > As for oil resistance, Buy the "plenum" type.  They use teflon insolation
> > and don't cost that much more.    These are sold because of fire codes in
> > some kinds of buildings, they don't create toxic smoke in a fire.
>
> Silicone insulation, perhaps? After all, teflon releases hydrofluoric
> acid at high temperatures - definitely toxic. Silicone resists heat well
> too, and burns to sand, which can even maintain the insulation if contained
> and immobile. Silicone is soft and rubbery, while teflon is harder and
> stiffer, and a genuine PITA to strip, I found.
>
> When we needed some silicone insulated wire for automotive┬╣ use here in
> Australia 38 years ago, we had to have it made to order. ISTR the teflon
> was a good deal more expensive, as well as a pain.
>
> Erik
>
> ┬╣ Ford XD Falcon's LED digital clock.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California