Actually, for the times it has happened to me is when there is wet snow with wind - blowing the moisture into the wheel well. Some of it makes its way around the brake pads and freezes overnight.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Cor van de Water via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 20-Jun-14 9:41:42 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] winter parking brake

I used the hand brake often while driving in The Netherlands
(same latitude as south Canada) and only had an issue once.
Remember that the time brakes will freeze to the rotors/drums
is when they are *wet* before parking. If you noticed that you run
through
something wet (puddle) before parking, you can drive the car another
block
with the brakes lightly applied (pull the hand brake until it starts
slowing down the vehicle) so it gets warm and the brakes dry, before
parking.

The one time I noticed was after a bright cold winter night, the car
would not move backwards, only "upwards". It had frozen on one side.
Jogging the car carefully back and forth cracked the drum brake loose
and I could drive normally after that.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626