 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Tesla might Supercharge EVs to regain 400mi in     15min
for7 credits
 To: "Marion Hakanson" <hakan...@easystreet.net>, "Electric Vehicle Discussion
List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 10:24 AM

 Sent from my iPhone

 > On Jul 28, 2014, at 10:52 PM, Marion
 Hakanson via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 wrote:

 > I have a
 cousin who lives in Italy.  They own a small Fiat van which
 runs on both methane (compressed) and regular gasoline;
 Apparently it costs the equivalent of $20 to fill the
 methane tank, and about $100 to fill the gas tank (which
 they'll do if they're in the hinterlands and
 can't find a methane station).

 > If most H2 comes from methane (natural
 gas), why not just burn the methane directly, instead of
 converting it multiple times (and losing something at every
 step), so you can feed it to a fuel cell?

 For the same reason there is a
 ZEV mandate and you want a power plant to burn the natural
 gas and give you electricity to run your battery electric.

 Emissions.

 Remember, ZEV stands for zero
 emission vehicles.

 Regards,

 Marion

 07/28/14 10:30 PM, Mike Nickerson via EV wrote:
 >> https://greet.es.anl.gov/
 >>
 >> I have
 looked at it in the past.  One thing to look at when
 someone reports results of the model:

 >> Everything
 is configurable in the model.  Make sure the assumptions
 about generation and usage are well understood (either left
 to defaults or well documented).  It is very easy to sway
 the outcome with changes in assumptions.

 >> In many
 cases, the changes can be realistic, but they need to be
 vetted.  For example, running the model for Idaho, the
 electrical grid is more than 50% renewable and less than 30%
 coal.  Those assumptions for New York would be very
 wrong.  I believe the defaults are national averages.

 Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 wrote:
 >>> All data I have seen
 till now shows that emissions go up with the
 >>> indroduction of H2, due to the low
 efficiency well-to-wheels of

 creating
 >>> H2.
 >>> So, it is considered not just a
 very difficult energy carrier, but also
 >>> inefficient, besides being very
 costly in roll out.
 >>> If you have
 data to the contrary, I am interested in vetting it
 (since
 >>> it is easy to mislead
 with cherry-picked info). My mind is open, I tend
 >>> to decide
 >>> based on data. Fan-boy? Not so
 much.
 >>> Got a link for that GREET