On Aug 6, 2014, at 12:13 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> EVLN: i3 EV self-parks> driver climbs out of window to prove (video)

When cars become fully autonomous a la Google, that'll significantly change
many dynamics, especially efficiency. I'd expect individual ownership to
plummet, and instead for car sharing systems to become the norm -- more like
limousine or taxi services, but driverless. And, in such a system, range
becomes a moot point; the system automatically dispatches a vehicle with enough
range for your trip, or it does a pony express thing for longer trips. Earlier
discussions here about wireless charging would become critical; a car can park
itself on a wireless charger, but expecting the car to plug itself into a wall
outlet / cable is asking a bit much.

...all that is a ways into the future, of course. Personally, I'm expecting
we'll see autonomous long-haul trucks first, and likely within a decade; the
economics of such a system would be overwhelming. Now's a great time for
teamsters to plan for a career change....

b&