On Aug 6, 2014, at 10:06 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> The other problem with cordless charging - whether robot arm or induction -
> is that it requires a certain orientation of the vehicle. In my case, I back
> into my driveway because it's too difficult to see when backing out into
> traffic.  So I either would need a charge connection on the back of the car
> or would need one that I can drive over, somehow.  Or one on each side...

I don't see automated charging being anything other than a luxury item for
personal EVs until they get dirt cheap. But I *do* see them being indispensable
for autonomous vehicle applications.

They'd even make sense for certain fleet applications if the cars only park
themselves and do no other autonomous driving. You could design a parking lot /
charging station with cars packed in with only an inch of clearance on all four
sides from neighboring cars. The car pulls itself out, the driver gets in and
drives away; at the end of the day, the driver gets out of the car and walks
away as the car parks itself into a space impossible for the doors to even open.

That opens up a *lot* of square footage in what could potentially be an area
with expensive real estate rates.

b&