The other problem with cordless charging - whether robot arm or induction - is that it requires a certain orientation of the vehicle. In my case, I back into my driveway because it's too difficult to see when backing out into traffic. So I either would need a charge connection on the back of the car or would need one that I can drive over, somehow. Or one on each side...

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Robert Bruninga via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: ev...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: 06-Aug-14 10:02:04 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: i3 EV self-parks> driver climbs out of window to prove (video)

expecting the car to plug itself into a wall outlet / cable is asking a
bit much.

Actually If I had the time (after I retire maybe) I can easily imagin a
robot arm on the garage wall that can reach out, find and connect to some
contacts mounted somehow on the front license plate area.

In fact, no robotics, just a CUP/CONE system on a spring. The cone is on
the car (aerodynamics) and the cone is on a spring arm. Just drive it
home. NAVY pilots do this all the time flying at over 300 MPH in 3
dimensions to a moving cone!

My problem is the clutter in the garage would need a 20' long arm to get
past the junk.

Bob, WB4APR

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

On Aug 6, 2014, at 12:13 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> EVLN: i3 EV self-parks> driver climbs out of window to prove (video)

 When cars become fully autonomous a la Google, that'll significantly
 change many dynamics, especially efficiency. I'd expect individual
ownership to plummet, and instead for car sharing systems to become the norm -- more like limousine or taxi services, but driverless. And, in such a system, range becomes a moot point; the system automatically dispatches a vehicle with enough range for your trip, or it does a pony express thing for longer trips. Earlier discussions here about wireless charging would become critical; a car can park itself on a wireless charger, but expecting the car to plug itself into a wall outlet / cable is asking a bit much.

 ...all that is a ways into the future, of course. Personally, I'm
expecting we'll see autonomous long-haul trucks first, and likely within a decade; the economics of such a system would be overwhelming. Now's a great
 time for teamsters to plan for a career change....

 b&