> expecting the car to plug itself into a wall outlet / cable is asking a
bit much.

Actually If I had the time (after I retire maybe) I can easily imagin a
robot arm on the garage wall that can reach out, find and connect to some
contacts mounted somehow on the front license plate area.

In fact, no robotics, just a CUP/CONE system on a spring.  The cone is on
the car (aerodynamics) and the cone is on a spring arm.  Just drive it
home.  NAVY pilots do this all the time flying at over 300 MPH in 3
dimensions to a moving cone!

My problem is the clutter in the garage would need a 20' long arm to get
past the junk.

Bob, WB4APR