The debate should be about  light or heavy vehicles and efficiency.  If you
have an efficient vehicle that is light you might draw 55wh per mile.  The
typical heavy conversion like the I3 , Leaf, Rav4, IMEV, or any other of the
currently available EV's are just too heavy to give good range with a small
pack.  They all draw 200 or more wh per mile.  The I3 is going in the right
direction.  It has a relatively small pack and is more efficient than all the
other competitors.    If however you have a light vehicle around a thousand
pounds your range will be close to 350 miles with a 16kw battery pack.  The
vehicle needs to have a CD of about .16.  With these specifications you don't
have to have a big pack.  It will charge in 2.5 hours with a 6.6kw charger.
Efficiency and charging time should be the goal.  Smaller the pack the quicker
the charge.  Also the packs will last longer as they are not stressed as much
by carrying large weights.  Engineering the right combination is what is
needed.  Not 85kw packs in 5000 pound cars...however they are very comfortable
and useful as is and better than the ICE alternative.  Lawrence Rhodes