I don't think there is a need for a debate as much as figuring out the right questions to ask or want to ask.

    What sort of range do you **need**?
What do you expect out of the vehicle (commuter vehicle, go'fer runs, pickup truck, taxi, etc.)?
    What is the shortest time do you want to wait between full recharges?
    How recyclable is this car? etc.

There is no sense in buying a Twofer if you expected to drive in a 3 to 4 person carpool.

A used Leaf can about $10K and have an EPA range of 84 miles or a real winter range of 50 miles.

The Leaf pack of 24 kwhrs has a replacement cost of approximately $6K or $250/ kwhr. The 2016 Leaf has an extended range model of 107 mile with with a 30 kwhr pack. By the numbers, this should cost around an extra $1500 or $7500 for a replacement pack. What are the trade offs?

for the 2018 and 2019 EV model years, several manufacturers say they will produce 200 mile and a 300 mile EVs. At $250/ kwhr, the replacement packs would be around $15,000 and $22,500, respectively. Meaning you could save almost $8k if you only needed a 200 mile range instead of 300 mile range.

Tesla is talking an eventual cost of $150 / kwhr. If Tesla meets their price point, Nissan and all the other EV manufacturers should also be in the same ball park. Therefore, future Leafs could have a pack replacement cost of $3000 and $3750 for a 24 Kwhr and 30 Kwhr pack respectively.

A used Leaf can save you a lot of money and the saving can be put to adding PV, or borrowing or leasing a car to take a trip. But is it the car you really need? Should you buy now or wait until the range exceeds a goal such as the distance to Grandma's house, a favorite vacation spot, or commuting distance, etc.

Just some thoughts.