From: "Mike Nickerson" <m...@nickersonranch.com>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 28-Sep-15 5:13:08 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: The Big EV Debate> Go for Small or Big Battery Pack?

I think it is key to remember, though, that a Cd of 0.16 is deep into concept car territory. Most small cars are 0.28-0.32. The Toyota Prius is 0.25. The Tesla Model S is 0.24. There isn't much under 0.24 that isn't concept or experimental (except the EV1 at 0.195).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

I'm surprised the Leaf doesn't do better in the city. Does it brake aggressively enough with regeneration so you don't need the friction brakes much? I have to drive the Tesla very aggressively to get less than 3 miles per kWh. On a bad day, I get around 300 Wh per mile. On a careful day, I can get around 230-250 Wh per mile. However, due to aggressive regeneration, it gets almost everything back into the battery. I hardly use the friction brakes.

Mike